Mary Anne here. I prefer my wings sweet with just a whisper of heat, while my two sons prefer the thrill of the hottest wing palatable! To satisfy our disparate tastes, I’ve formulated a basic rub for the boy’s birds that is easily prepared alongside my safely seasoned chicken.
Classic Buffalo Wings
Note: This and the Sweet & Spicy Wings recipe can be made up to 3 days before. To reheat, bring the wings back to room temperature. Place on a cookie sheet in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until hot.
1 ½ Tablespoons each of cumin, paprika, and allspice – stock
1 Tablespoon ground ginger – stock
½ Tablespoon cayenne pepper, or to taste – stock
1 ½ Teaspoons garlic powder – stock
1 ½ Teaspoons onion powder – stock
2 Tablespoons brown sugar – stock
salt and freshly ground pepper – stock
4 Tablespoons white or cider vinegar – stock
4 lbs. of chicken wings, separated as directed in Wing Tips – $4.79
Grand Total Assuming Well-Stocked Pantry: $4.79
Total Per Serving: $0.80
1. Thoroughly combine the spices and brown sugar. Rub the mixture all over the wings. Transfer to a large platter or bowl and cover and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.
2. Preheat the broiler. Move the top rack of the oven 6 to 8 inches away from the broiler flames. Line a large cookie sheet with foil and spray lightly with Pam or similar product.
3. Arrange the chicken pieces on the prepared cookie sheet.
4. Broil for 10 minutes. Using tongs, turn the pieces over and broil the second side 10 minutes. Continue turning and broiling in 5-minute increments, draining off the fat as you go, until the wings are golden and crispy: 45 minutes to an hour, total cooking time.
5. Serve with Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce, carrot and celery sticks.