Mary Anne here. This would horrify my mother – a.k.a. a baker extraordinaire – but if you’re in a pinch, store-bought mix subs-in nicely for the brownie part. Then, you just fancy it all up with our minty icing and chocolate glaze. Presto, change-o, your guests won’t even know the difference.
But for the purists out there, here are Mom’s best homemade brownies…start to finish:
Chocolate Mint Brownies
1 cup butter, softened – from stock
4 oz. melted, unsweetened chocolate – $ 3.39
2 c. granulated sugar – from stock
1c. flour – from stock
2 teaspoons vanilla – from stock
1 c. walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional) - $ 5.29
4 eggs, lightly beaten – from stock
2c. Confectioner’s sugar – $1.09
2 Tablespoons. Milk – from stock
4 Tablespoons butter, softened – from stock
1 teaspoon mint extract – $4.89
4 Tablespoons melted butter – from stock
4 oz. Unsweetened chocolate – cost already calculated for brownies
Grand Total of Mom’s Choco Mint Brownies Assuming Well-Stocked Pantry: $14.66
Directions for the Brownies:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or grease a 9×11 inch rectangular baking pan.
2. Beat butter with sugar, vanilla, eggs, and melted chocolate until well blended.
3. Stir in walnuts (optional) and flour.
4. Spread mixture in prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes until top is firm.
5. Cool on wire rack.
Directions for the Icing:
1. Beat sugar, milk, butter, and mint extract together until smooth.
2. Spread on cooled brownies.
Directions for the Glaze:
1. Melt the butter with the unsweetened chocolate either in the microwave or in a double boiler over simmering water.
2. Spoon onto icing.
3. Refrigerate until glaze is set, about thirty minutes.
4. Cut into 2 to 3 inch squares and store in airtight container until ready to serve.