Sesame-Miso Asian Beef Tacos with Quick-Pickled Peaches & Red Onion
Adapted from a recipe in Better Homes & Gardens
Ingredients for the Pickles:
½-cup white vinegar – stock
¼-cup sugar – stock
¾-teaspoon salt – stock
1 ripe peach, sliced – $1.75
½ medium red onion, sliced very thinly – $0.69
Ingredients for the Tacos:
8 tortillas – $1.49
1 lb lean ground beef – $4.99
¼-cup low-sodium soy sauce – stock
3 Tablespoons light brown sugar, packed – stock
3 Tablespoons rice vinegar – stock
1 Tablespoon water – stock
1 Tablespoon white miso paste – $5.29
A dash of crushed red pepper – stock
2 Tablespoons sesame oil – stock
2 cloves of garlic, minced or run through a press – stock
Grand total assuming well-stocked kitchen: $14.21
Cost per serving: $3.55
Directions for Pickles:
1. In a lidded glass container, whisk together the vinegar, sugar and salt. Add the sliced peaches and onion. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
Directions for Tacos:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap tortillas in foil and warm for about 10 minutes.
2. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over med-high heat. Crumble. Drain fat and set aside.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, water, miso paste and red pepper. Set aside.
4. Add the sesame oil to the skillet and cook garlic over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the miso-soy mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until it thickens up a little.
5. Return the beef to the skillet and cook through.
6. Spoon beef onto tortillas and garnish with pickled peaches and red onion. Serve immediately.