Chorizo and Shredded Chicken Soup
Serves 8 to 10
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts – $3.99
1 lb. Mexican Chorizo sausage, cut into ½” thick rounds – $8.49
1 medium sweet potato, about 2/3 lb. – $0.89
3 Tablespoons olive oil – stock
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped – $0.99
½ lb. Baby Bella or button mushrooms, sliced ¼” thick – $0.99
1 Vidalia onion, diced – $0.89
4 cloves garlic, minced – stock
8 cups chicken stock or low sodium broth – $4.98
3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped – $0.99
salt and pepper to taste
ripe avocado slices and sour cream garnish, if desired
Grand Total Assuming a Well-Stocked Pantry: $22.21
Total Per Serving: $2.46
1. In a medium saucepan, immerse the chicken breasts with water, covering by about 1–inch. Bring to a boil and then simmer over low flame until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes for thick breasts. Transfer to a cutting board and after cooling for a few minutes, shred the chicken into bite size pieces and set aside.
2. At the same time, another small-medium pan of water to boil. Peel the sweet potato and cut into ½” chunks and cook at a simmer for about 10 minutes until fork – tender. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a large, heavy bottom stockpot, sauté the chorizo slices on both sides until golden on both sides. Transfer to a wire rack lined with paper towels to absorb the fat. Wipe out the inside of the stockpot.
4. In the same stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium-high flame. Sauté the onions, mushrooms, apple, and garlic, stirring frequently until the mushrooms and onion are pale gold, about 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Cut the prepared chorizo into bite-size chunks and add to the veggies along with the chicken stock and shredded meat.
6. Bring to a low boil and then reduce the flame. Add the cilantro and simmer for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Garnish individual servings with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt and sliced avocado if desired.