The situation in Haiti is growing more overwhelming by the minute, but thankfully, so is the outpouring of support as news of the devastation hits hard here at home. With the estimated death toll soaring to 50,000 and Port-au-Prince crushed under the weight of mounting rubble, Haitians who have survived the past 48 hours are now dealing with the aftershocks: loss of electricity, clean running water, phone service and food. The chaos is catastrophic.
Haiti needs your help. We’ve outlined a few of our favorite charities and food brands donating to this urgent cause. Give a little, give a lot, but every penny counts.
- World Food Programme: they’ve received $19 million in contributions, the bulk of which has come from the US. Click on this link for the WFP’s 10 Hunger Facts in Haiti – an eye-opening read.
- Walmart is donating $500,000 to the Red Cross’ relief efforts in Haiti. The megalith is also donating $100,000 in food.
- Yum! Brands Inc, a restaurant company out of Kentucky, is contributing announced $500,000 from its World Hunger Relief program to provide food for earthquake victims in Haiti.
- You can donate $10 to the Red Cross by texting the word “HAITI” to 90999; give $5 to the United Way by texting “Haiti” to 864833; or give $5 to Wyclef Jean’s Yele Haiti by texting YELE to 501501. The Red Cross has already raised $8 million through this campaign.
- The Kraft Foods Foundation is donating $25,000 to the Red Cross’s relief efforts in Haiti.
- Chiquita International has kicked off an employee-matching program to encourage donations to Haiti. The goal is to raise $200,000.
- ConAgra Foods has also chipped in with a $100,000 in contributions to the Red Cross.
For more information on how you can help, check out Bill Lucey’s illuminating read in the Huffington Post.