Pretzel Blondies with Salted Caramel
Makes about 16 bars
Adapted from Hugs and CookiesXOXO
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp – stock
1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed – stock
½-cup white sugar – stock
2 eggs – stock
2 teaspoons vanilla extract – stock
2½ cups all-purpose flour – stock
1 teaspoon baking soda – stock
1 teaspoon kosher salt – stock
1¾ cups broken mini pretzels – use a ziplock bag to crush without making a mess – $1.99
¾-cup semi-sweet chocolate chips – $2.99
¼-cup caramel sauce – $2.99
Pinch of coarse sea salt – stock
Grand total assuming well-stocked kitchen: $7.97
Cost per bar: $0.49
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 pan with Pam then line with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the butter and sugars. Beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla.
4. Reduce speed to the lowest setting and stir in the flour mixture.
5. Turn the mixer off and add the pretzels and chocolate chips, incorporating with a wooden spoon until just combined.
6. Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 2-25 minutes until the edges are just turning golden. I suggest undercooking ever so slightly so the inside stays soft and doughy.
7. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
8. Drizzle with caramel and sprinkle with a little sea salt. Cut into bars.