Red, White and Blueberry Cake
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Ingredients for the Cake:
1½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for baking sheet – stock
3 cups cake flour (not self-rising), plus more for baking sheet – $3.59
2 teaspoons baking powder – stock
1 teaspoon salt – stock
2¼ cups sugar – stock
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract – stock
1 cup milk – stock
8 egg whites – stock
Ingredients for the Frosting & Berry Flag:
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature – $1.99
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature – stock
1 cup confectioners’ sugar – stock
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract – stock
1 pint blueberries – $3.49
2 pints raspberries (make sure to pat dry very well after washing so color doesn’t bleed onto icing) – $6.00
8 large strawberries, sliced thinly – $3.99
Grand total assuming well-stocked kitchen: $19.06
Cost per serving: $1.58
Directions for the Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 12-by-18-by-1-inch rimmed baking sheet, tapping out any excess flour; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with the flour; beat until just combined. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; set aside.
4. In the clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites on low speed until foamy. With mixer running, gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar; beat on high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 4 minutes. Do not overbeat. Gently fold a third of the egg-white mixture into the butter-flour mixture until combined. Gently fold in remaining egg-white mixture.
5. Transfer batter to prepared baking sheet and smooth batter evenly with a spatula or back of a spoon. Transfer to oven and bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool 10 minutes. Invert cake onto rack, then reinvert and let cool completely before cutting in half (widthwise).
Directions for Frosting and Flag Decorating:
1. Place cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl. Using a rubber spatula, soften cream cheese. Gradually add butter, and continue beating until smooth and well blended. Sift in confectioners’ sugar, and continue beating until smooth. Add vanilla, and stir to combine.
2. Frost one half of the cooled cake. Layer with sliced strawberries then place remaining half of the cake on top and frost. Arrange raspberries and blueberries in a flag motif.