Grown Up Sloppy Joes with Ground Turkey and Avocado
Makes 6 full-size sandwiches or 12 mini-sliders
1.3 lbs of lean ground turkey (that seems to be the standard weight in pre-packaged portions in the supermarket) – $3.69
1/2 green Bell pepper, chopped coarsely – $1.05
1 cup finely chopped Vidalia onion – $0.89
1 small minced shallot – $2.99 (for a package)
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic – stock
2 TBS olive oil – stock
8-oz can of tomato sauce – $0.89
1/2 cup ketchup – stock
2 TBS Worcestershire sauce – stock
2 TBS cider vinegar – stock
2 TBS brown sugar, packed – stock
1/4 tsp oregano – stock
1 tsp Tabasco sauce – stock
1 avocado – $1.99
6 whole wheat buns – $3.39
freshly ground black pepper and salt, to taste – stock
Grand total assuming stocked kitchen: $14.89
Cost per serving (6 full-size sandwiches): $2.48
1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat
2. Add the onion, garlic, shallot and pepper to the skillet cooking until onions are translucent and pepper is tender
3. Crumble in the ground turkey making sure to break the meat into small bits. Cook until most of the meat has turned from pink to brown.
4. Stir in the remaining ingredients (hold off on salting the mixture until the end). Bring the Joe mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to low simmering for 10-15 minutes until the sauce thickens.
5. Toast the buns until golden brown.
6. Cut avocado into thin 1/8-inch slices.
7. Scoop the Sloppy Joe mixture onto the buns and top with avocado slices. I served baked beans on the side, which were a fantastic complement. I cheated and used store-bought beans…