Sweet and Spicy Red Hot Buffalo Wings
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice – stock
1 Teaspoon cayenne pepper – stock
1 Teaspoon garlic powder – stock
salt and freshly ground pepper – stock
Tabasco sauce: 10 to 20 “hits” – stock
2 Tablespoons honey – stock
1 cup favorite BBQ sauce plus sauce for dipping – $1.99
4 lbs. chicken wings, separated as described in Wing Tips – $4.79
Grand Total Assuming Well-Stocked Pantry: $6.78
Total Per Serving: $1.13
1. Preheat the broiler. Move the top rack of the oven 6 to 8 inches away from the broiler flames. Line a large cookie sheet with foil and spray lightly with Pam or similar product.
2. In a large mixing bowl, toss the chicken pieces with the lemon juice, cayenne, garlic, Tabasco, salt and pepper.
3. Transfer the chicken pieces to the prepared cookie sheet.
4. Broil for 10 minutes. Using tongs, turn the pieces over and broil the second side 10 minutes. Continue turning and broiling in 5-minute increments, draining off the fat as you go, until the wings are golden and crispy.
5. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, combine the honey and BBQ sauce.
6. Begin basting the chicken pieces at about 30 minutes into the broiling process. The sauce will absorb quickly. Continue turning and basting them frequently for about 15 to 20 minutes total, being careful not to burn them.
7. Serve with the Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce and carrot and celery sticks.