Mary Anne here. If you’re just learning to cook, chicken wings may just be your easiest and most gratifying entree into the world of home cooking. Whether you prefer sweet, spicy, homemade or store-bought BBQ sauce; fresh or dried spices; Asian-inspired, Basque, or Tex-Mex, whatever region, season or spice your palate prefers, the tiny wing stands up to them all.
For the crispiest, most delectable wing, here are a few basic tips. And don’t forget t checkout our favorite recipes including Tapas-Style Cilantro and Jalapeno Wings; Classic Buffalo Wings; and Sweet & Spicy Wings.
- Wings come in three parts and only two of them have any real meat. Spread the wing out as shown in the photo. Separate the pieces by cutting along each of the two joints, using either a meat cleaver, a pair of kitchen shears, or simply your sharpest knife.
- Save the wing tips for making homemade soup stock. Store in a sealed plastic bag in the freezer.
- To broil, roast or grill, use a large cookie sheet lined with foil and sprayed with “Pam” to prevent sticking if using a honey-based sauce.
- Whether roasting, broiling or grilling, squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice over the wings before cooking. The citrus makes the skin extra crispy!
- Baking: roast the wings in a 425-degree oven, turning every 15 to 20 minutes until golden and crispy on both sides.
- Grilling/Broiling: These methods require a bit more fussing in terms of turning the wings, but they deliver the crispiest product. I use the cookie sheet on the grill to prevent burning the skin too quickly. When broiling, place the oven rack 6 to 8 inches away from the flame. Broil/grill the wings for 10 minutes; turn and broil the other side for 10 minutes until they begin to turn a pale gold. Continue flipping the wings every 5 minutes, draining off any fat (I use a turkey baster to suck up the fat/juices) as it accumulates. This will ensure the crispiest result. Total cooking time, whether broiling, grilling, or roasting is about one hour.
- And in case you’re wondering, I personally prefer the broiling method for consistently crisp chicken!